Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

Ok so since I just posted an absolutely sinful muffin recipe in my last post, I thought I'd redeem myself a bit and show you a very healthy, breakfast worthy muffin recipe. This is actually what we ate for breakfast this morning! But don't worry, the healthy part doesn't compromise the taste at all, these are still delicious! I found a recipe for oatmeal muffins over here. This one is almost perfect except for the fact that Peyton is SUPER picky, so I knew he wouldn't eat just a plain old muffin. My solution...throw in a few chocolate chips! Only enough to entice him though, I didn't want his healthy breakfast turning into a sugar fest!

Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

3/4 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup chocolate chips


Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12-muffin tin really well or use muffin liners. Combine the oats, both flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl combine the honey, buttermilk, oil and eggs. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined, but don't over mix! Fold in the chocolate chips. Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. These are best eaten warm, so hurry up and go eat them! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment